Common Cold Information
Common cold is an ailment that affects the upper respiratory tract of a person i.e. nose and throat. It is basically caused by picornaviruses, including rhinoviruses or coronaviruses. Though a harmless disease, common cold is highly contagious and can spread easily, and rapidly, from one individual to other. On a normal basis, it strikes an adult about three to four times in a year. For the preschoolers, the strike rate is about 6 to 10 times in a year. People, who are struck with common cold, generally get relief from it in about a week's time. There are various reasons for the occurrence of common cold. Read on to know more about its causes and symptoms.
Causes Of Common Cold
Causes Of Common Cold
- Human metapneumovirus
- Coronavirus 229E
- Respiratory syncytial virus
- Coronavirus OC43
- Low vitality
- Exposure to cold
- Lack of sleep
- Sudden changes in temperature
- Dust and other irritating inhalations
- Unhealthy food
- Excess intake of red meat
- Consuming alcohol and/or drugs
Symptoms Of Common Cold
- Dry, scratchy or sore throat
- Runny nose
- Nasal congestion
- Chest congestion
- Slight fever
- Aches and pains in the body
- Loss of appetite
An inflammation in the upper respiratory tract caused due to viral infection is called common cold. The occurrence of this disease is very frequent and hence has been named common cold. Also known as acute coryza, common cold is not a one time disease and may appear and re-appear several times a year. It is most common though adults are also a victim of this disease. Common cold lasts for about 3 to 10 days and mostly affects the nose. Sometimes there is blockage in the ears as well. Bronchial tubes and sinus can also be affected. The symptoms of common cold are soreness of throat, congestion of nasal passages, running nose, sneezing, headache, chill and body ache. Common cold is not a serious disease and can be treated by adapting to some home remedies. Know more about how to cure a person suffering from common cold.
Home Remedy For Common Cold
- The most effective remedy for common cold would be to have lime juice. Take a glass of lukewarm water and dilute the lime juice in it. Add a tsp of honey to enhance its efficacy.
- The antiseptic properties of garlic make it one of the most effective ingredients for cold. Consumption of garlic soup would be the best way to cure common cold.
- Another effective method of using garlic would be to combine some garlic oil with onion juice. Dilute this with water and consume it for several times a day.
- Ginger also works favorably in treating common cold. Cut small pieces of ginger and put it in water. Boil this mixture. Once it simmers, strain the liquid and add half a tsp of sugar to it. Drink this hot.
- Hot water bath also proves effective as it relieves of all the nasal and chest congestion. Taking steam also would heal the congested nasal tissues.
- An excellent home remedy would be to have a glass of warm milk. Add 2 milligrams of roasted asafetida and drink this milk quite slowly two times in a day.
- Mix 200 grams of coriander seeds and jaggery in it. Make a paste of it and then add water in it. Boil this mixture and inhale the vapors of this mixture. Four times a day would cure common cold.
- Make a powdered mixture of black pepper and mix this in curd. Add jaggery or sugar candy to it. Take this two times a day to get cured of common cold.
- Take 250 grams of water and boil 7 pieces of each black pepper and sugar cubes. When the content comes to 1/4th quantity, stop boiling. Drink this mixture hot twice everyday to get relieved from common cold.
- Place 10grams of Sprague in a clean cloth and tie all the ends of the cloth. Apply indirect heat to it by keeping it in a vessel. Sniff this for a few minutes until it’s hot. It would effectively cure nasal blockage.
- Mix equal amounts of tulsi seeds and ginger. Make a fine powdery mixture out of the two. Have this mixture two times a day.
- Cut 100gm lady’s finger into small pieces and boil them in a liter of water. Once boiled, inhale the steam coming out of the decoction. Inhaling this one or two time a day would relieve a person from the irritation of the throat and the dry cough.